When you do not have access to a file manager, it is necessary to be able to unzip files from SSH.
Warning: The information in this article is advanced material we make available as a courtesy. Please be advised that you are responsible for properly following the procedures below. Customer Support can’t assist with these topics.
- Connect to your hosting with FTP.
- Upload your .tar.gz file or .zip.
- Enable SSH on your hosting account. (Web Hosting / cPanel / Managed WordPress).
- Connect to your server or shared hosting account with SSH,
- Navigate to the directory containing the zipped file.
- Use one of the following commands depending if you uploaded a .tar.gz or a .zip fileUpdate the the command(s) as follows:tar -xvzf source.tar.gz -C destination/
- source.tar.gz is the name of your .tar.gz file
- destination is the name of the folder where you want to extract the filesunzip source.zip -d destination/
- source.zip is the name of your .zip file
- destination is the name of the folder where you want to extract the files
- Return to Unzip a zip file.