Nic.so is the sponsor and Hexonet aka 1 Api GmbH is our backend provider for the country-code top-level domain name (ccTLD) .so extension that represents Republic of Somalia.
Who can register .so domains?
Anyone can register a .so domain.
- .so – Intended for Somalian businesses or individuals.
- .com.so – Intended for commercial entities.
- .net.so — Intended for network infrastructures, such as Internet Service Providers.
- .org.so — Intended for noncommercial entities.
Note: Due to registry complications, we have suspended all new .so registrations as of 06/09/2015. Renewals will still process normally, but will be limited to 1 year terms. Please note, the renewal process cannot be initiated until the expiration date
When registering a .so domain, you must follow specific requirements.
- Must use: 3 – 63 Characters
- Can use: Letters (a-z characters), numbers (0-9) and hyphens (except in the 1st or last characters or consecutive)
- Cannot use: Special Characters (e.g.,& and #)
- IDNs: Not supported
- Registration length: 1 year
- Renewal length: 1 year
- Your .so domain name renews on its expiration date. Auto-renewal is attempted on the domain name’s expiration date. If the renewal attempt fails, we re-attempt renewal 5 days later and again 7 days after that.
- If we cannot auto-renew the domain name and you do not manually renew it by the 12th day after the expiration date, it must be redeemed. There might be a fee for the redemption. See Renew my expired domain for more information.
- Backorders: Not supported
- Transfers to ELITE WEB Co.: Supported
- Transfers away from ELITE WEB Co.: Supported
- Transfer Lock: Supported
- Transfers to another ELITE WEB Co. account: Supported
- Transfers between accounts may take up to 5 days to complete.
- Basic privacy protection: Supported
- Protection plan upgrades: Supported
- Contact Updates: Supported
- Must use: 2-13 Nameservers
- Can use: IPv4
- Cannot use: IPv6, DNSSEC
For details on refunds, see our refund policy . Most domains will follow the Standard Refund Terms, but certain domains may have exceptions or may not be refundable at all. Review the information under Products with Special Refund Terms > Domain Name Registrations/Renewals and Products Not Eligible for Refunds.
- Check out our most common domain articles to get started with your .so domain.