denic.de is the sponsor and KeySystems is our backend provider for the country-code top-level domain name (ccTLD) .de extensions that represents Germany.
Who can register .de domains?
Anyone can register a .de domain.
When registering a .de domain, you must follow specific requirements.
- Must use: 3 – 63 Characters
- Can use: Letters (a-z characters), numbers (0-9), hyphens (except in the 1st or last characters of the domain name)
- Cannot use: Special Characters (e.g.,& and #)
- IDNs: Supported
- Registration length: 1 year
- Renewal length: 1 year
- Your .de domain name renews before its expiration date. The renewal date depends on whether the domain name is auto-renewed or renewed manually. Auto-renewal is attempted 20 days prior to the domain name’s expiration date. If the renewal attempt fails, we re-attempt renewal again 13 days prior to the domain names’s expiration date and again 6 days prior to the domain names’s expriation date.
- If we cannot auto-renew the domain name and you do not manually renew it by the expiration date, it must be redeemed. There might be a fee for the redemption. See Recovering expired domain names for instructions on the redemption.
- For example: Your .de domain name expires on October 20th. If your domain name does not renew automatically, you can renew it manually by October 20th. For automatic renewals, we attempt to renew the domain name on October 1st, October 8th, and October 15th.
- Backorders: Not supported
- Transfers away from ELITE WEB Co.: Supported
- Transfer Lock: Not supported
- Please reach out to customer support to request an authorization code.
- Basic privacy protection: Not supported
- Protection plan upgrades: Not supported
- Contact Updates: Supported
- Must use: 0-13 Authoritive nameservers. Each nameserver must be on a separate class-C network. That is, the first three octets cannot be the same. For example, 126.96.36.199 and 188.8.131.52 are valid.
- Can use: IPV4 and IPV6
- Cannot use: DNSSEC
For details on refunds, see our refund policy . Most domains will follow the Standard Refund Terms, but certain domains may have exceptions or may not be refundable at all. Review the information under Products with Special Refund Terms > Domain Name Registrations/Renewals and Products Not Eligible for Refunds.
To cancel your .de domain, contact customer support for assistance.