Downloadable Simple Products
1. From admin panel , Go to: WooCommerce > Products > Add Product to add a new Simple product.
2. Tick the Downloadable checkbox which shown after Product data dropdown:
3. After ticking this box, other options fields appear like – Downloadable Files, Download Limit, Download Expiry.
4. Select the Add file button, and then name the file. Enter the downloadable URL if it’s hosted elsewhere, or select the Choose file button to either insert an existing file from your Media Library or to Upload a new file. Upload the file and click Insert to set up each downloadable file URL.
5. You can enter “Download limit” (optional). Once a user hits this limit, they can no longer download the file.
6. You can enter “Download expiry” (optional). If you define a number of days, download links expire after that.
7. Once you’ve completed this edit to the product, press Publish or Update button.
Variable products can also have downloadable variations. When adding a variation tick the Downloadable checkbox and more options appear.
The other field will work using the same as Simple Products: Set the file path, optionally choose a download limit and expiry, and save.
The ordering process for downloadable products is:
- The customer adds a downloadable product to their cart and customer checks out and pays.
- After the payment, several things can happen depending on your setup:
- If items in the order are all downloadable + virtual, the order is completed.
- If items are physical and downloadable/virtual, the order is processing until you change it.
- Once complete, or if the option “Grant access to downloadable products after payment” is enabled, the customer can:
- Be granted download permission
- See download links on the order received page
- See download links in their email notification
- See download links on their ‘My Account’ page if logged in
Customers can then download files.
The customer receives an invoice/order confirmation with a clickable link to download if the order is processed and paid.
Managing Orders with Downloadable Line items
- From admin panel, Go to: WooCommerce > Orders and select the order to view or edit.
- Scroll down to the Downloadable Product Permissions meta box, which displays the download and how many times the customer had accessed it.
- Revoke access, grant access to new downloads, or exit order.