How to add a website to a mobile device home screen
Published: October 20, 2022
Last updated: October 20, 2022
Table of Contents
This guide will show you how to add a website to your mobile device’s home screen so that it looks like an app. We at The Elite Web Co work from iPad’s in house which allow us to get up and go when necessary. In order to run our support as efficiently as possible we require shortcuts where possible and so adding these bookmarks or web links to our tablet home screens is a must. We don’t do it often and so find ourselves shouting across the office asking for a reminder.
How to add a website link to a mobile device so that it looks like a web app.
Follow the instructions below to add a shortcut to a website on the home screen of your iPad, iPhone, or Android devices.
iPad or iPhone
- Launch Safari app. *Please note that this does not work from the “Chrome” app or any other browser when using an iPhone.
- Enter into the address field the URL of the website you want to create a shortcut to. Tap Go.
- Next, Tap the icon featuring a right-pointing arrow coming out of a box along the top of the Safari window to open a drop-down menu circled in red below.
- Tap Add to Home Screen. The “Add to Home” dialog box will appear, with the icon that will be used for this website on the left side of the dialog box.
- Enter the name for the shortcut using the on-screen keyboard and tap Add. Safari will close automatically and you will be taken to where the icon is located on your iPad’s or iPhone’s desktop/Home Screen
That’s all – your website link can be accessed anytime now and look like any other app. Be sure to name it so it’s easy to search.
- Launch the Chrome app. *Please note that this does not work from the device’s native web browser app.
- Open the website or web page you want to pin to your home screen.
- Tap the menu icon (3 dots in upper right-hand corner) and tap Add to Home Screen.
- You’ll be able to enter a name for the shortcut and then Chrome will add it to your home scree
Sign up for free news, tips & offers
Your email is safe with us, we don't spam.